Rants tag

Rants, ruminations, and rambling remarks from my mad, muddled, meandering mind.

Monday, June 14, 2010

New Rank, New Ship, New Assignment

"That extra pip becomes you, Rowan," Admiral Quinn leaned forward over his drink. "Your mother would be so proud of you."

Starfleet's newest captain looked back at her mentor, then looked down at her own drink. "It's a big responsibility for a simple doctor, sir."

"Yes, it is. But we have every confidence in you." Quinn reached out and clasped her hand. "I have every confidence in you. You're no simple doctor, uncovering the Reman involvement in the Hobus disaster, fighting off Klingons, Romulans, . . . even Hirogen. You've done great things for the Federation."

The admiral lowered his voice. "I don't think I need to tell you things are not going well for the Federation. We are fighting on multiple fronts. The Undine infiltration reaches deeper than even most of Starfleet knows."

Rowan shifted uncomfortably. "I've heard rumors."

"Trust me, the truth is even more disturbing than the rumors. You are not the only Starfleet officer to participate in missions that turned out to have been directed by Undine agents. We've had whole command crews replaced by Undine imposters. When you take command of La Gitana, you'll be accompanied by a platoon of MACOs."

Rowan picked up the PADD on the table, which had the her new ship displayed. "Sir, La Gitana is a research vessel. You expect us to fight a war?"
"Rowan, I don't expect you to wage war, but we can't take any chances. War is being waged upon the Federation, the Klingon Empire, and every being in the quadrant. Your ship is one of our most advanced." Quinn leaned back in his chair, folding his arms across his chest. "It's the techniques you and your crew developed for discerning cloaked Romulan ships that are enabling us to gain the upper hand on that front. With the state-of-the-art sensors aboard La Gitana, Starfleet Intelligence is hoping you'll be able to detect incursions from Fluidic Space as they happen."

"So that's what our mission to Beta Ursae is about?" Rowan toyed with her glass, shaking her head.

Quinn made a dismissive gesture. "Oh, you'll have specific assignments from Captain Kurland of course. But your continuing secondary mission will be to detect and try to stop these incursions."

"We'll do our best, sir."

"In the meantime, enjoy shore leave while the final touches are being made to La Gitana. Your shakedown cruise will have to be on the way to DS9. It's not often that you get back here to Earth. Are you going to visit your hometown, your family?"

"I don't know. Father didn't want me to join Starfleet. He has made it hard to even think about going back."

"I understand. Life on a starship attenuates ties to the ground, any ground. Do what you think is best for you. But it may help to visit your father before that link becomes too tenuous."

"I'll consider it, sir."

6 comments:

  1. Yay, congrats again to Rowan on becoming Starfleet's newest captain! Nice piece here, I love her back story...there's something about her personal family life that endears her to me more than your other character (sorry, Locke!) I hope she does end up going to see her father.

    Hey, btw, when are you returning to the States?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aack, I tried to comment from my phone earlier (like Scarybooster) but it didn't work. I came back to the States a week ago today. Settling back in to Central Time has left me tired at the wrong hours, but I have managed to play my three MMOs a little each, mostly STO. I am having almost the same trouble getting into AoC that I did with LOTRO. I want to like it, but it seems like too much to juggle it with STO and WoW. I'm sure Longasc thinks I'm a total noob. But I am not really interested in gear builds while I'm still leveling Rowan. I played with him for a while on Sunday. Heh, what a tangent.

    Thank you very much for your kind words about the story. They get away from me sometimes, going off in unplanned directions. I have a few unfinished ones that sort of trail off. With more discipline and effort I could probably post them. But between playing, blogging, and RL responsibilities, I end up with quite a few half-finished projects. Did I mention that I have adult ADD?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh welcome back then! Settling in must be tough, I hate jet lag so much.

    I'm personally getting a little impatient with AoC...i still can't seem to get a stable experience in Khitai with my PoM...so much for a tiger mount :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry to hear that. I probably don't really remember how it was in the beginning with WoW, but the number of spells even at level 10 and 11 seems really small in AoC: only like 2 healing spells and a couple smites.

    I think AyAitch complained about his HoX being a one-trick pony.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grats on making captain! I'm glad to hear the fleet is still there and doing OK.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that's the problem with casters in AoC. I remember a lot of my abilities actually came from putting points in talents.

    ReplyDelete