Rants tag

Rants, ruminations, and rambling remarks from my mad, muddled, meandering mind.

Friday, July 7, 2017

Playing Catch-Up

HELLO! It's funny how being required to write a dull report for work gets my creative writing itch going.
I'm back from the future! Looks a lot like Chicago.
It's been just a bit since we've "talked," Dear Reader, and a lot has been going on in my real life. Unfortunately, not nearly so much in my gaming life. I just returned from a three-week trip to Chicago that included working 10- to 12-hour days and one of the two full weekends I was there. Needless to say, coming back to the hotel after each long day, I was mostly ready to veg out. And the set-up in my room was not exactly conducive to sitting down and playing WoW. I doubt I'll even take my gaming rig on my next trip. I don't know, I'll have to see how I feel about it when I'm closer to the date.

But, as I said, a sort of creative bug has stirred my desire to write. The trouble is, I don't have any solid ideas right now, just a couple of vague notions. I think I need a good fantasy novel to get my imagination really going again. And not some murder/torture-fest like A Song of Ice and Fire or The Sword of Truth.

I'd love to spend some time in the Black.
Along that line, I've also had the urge to do some table-top pen & paper gaming of late. But I'm a bit stymied as to the best way to go about it. I've had some excellent suggestions about online P&P venues, but I feel like, until I am more experienced with P&P in general, doing it online would not be the best way to get involved. Scooter has experience from her youth, as do both my daughters from college groups, interestingly enough. But it's something I never really got into when I was younger.

Yesterday, I was sorely tempted to stop by a games shop or even Barnes & Noble on the way home from work, looking for guides and playbooks. I was also eyeing a Firefly RPG core book a few months ago at the now defunct Hastings in our town. Don't be surprised if I report back about a weekend adventure on Monday.
~~~~~~~~
Creative Commons License
This article from I Have Touched the Sky is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. If you repost part or all of the work (for non-commercial purposes), please cite me as the author and include a link back to the blog.

Scooter proofreads almost all my articles before I post them, for which I am very grateful. However, any mistakes are mine and mine alone (unless otherwise noted). If you are reading this post through RSS or Atom feed—especially more than a couple hours after publication—I encourage you to visit the actual page, as I often make refinements after publication. The mobile version also loses some of the original character of the piece due to simplified formatting.

4 comments:

  1. Might I suggest Brandon Sanderson's "Mistborn" trilogy? Or perhaps his standalone "Elantris?" Or perhaps Jim Butcher's "Aeronaut's Windlass?" Or there's my old standby Dennis L Mckiernan, who write in homage to Tolkien, but somehow is more engaging when I read him -- my favorite is the standalone "Dragondoom," but his "Silver call" duaology is most excellent, as is his "Iron Tower" trilogy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. I was this close! to getting it during my shopping spree the other day. I have the original Serenity RPG Core Book (they didn't have the rights to use Firefly at the time). But the newer Firefly RPG rules are apparently smoother.

      Delete