Rants tag

Rants, ruminations, and rambling remarks from my mad, muddled, meandering mind.

Monday, April 26, 2010

Age of Conan: Welcome to Tortage

This was going to be an awesome introduction to my new character, Chamomile, a former galley slave who gets shipwrecked off of the Isle of Tortage.
Chami (still working on a nickname, because Chamomile is kinda long) is an Aquilonian Priest of Mitra, currently level six. She has no memory of her life before the shipwreck, but is discovering an ability to heal herself and her friends and smite her enemies through the power of faith.
I like the spell animations. I took a lot of screenshots from the beginning, only to discover that, unlike STO and WoW, Funcom in their infinite wisdom decided to key bind the screenshots to F11. Couple of quick shots of things and here we are.

I am feeling uninspired as far as cleverness. But I do want to say that I have enjoyed the beginning quests. The world seems different enough from WoW to keep my interest, as opposed to LOTRO, which was different from and yet the same as WoW in all the wrong ways, IMHO.
I feel the need to say here that I loved reading the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings, and watching the Peter Jackson films. OTOH I have not read any of the Conan books, nor really seen the movies. Now that I think about it, I had no preconceived notions of WoW, not having played any of the Warcraft RTS games. So the element of discovery about a world may contribute to my enjoyment of the game. Of course, that theory is shot to hell by my enjoyment of Star Trek Online, a universe about which I have considerable knowledge. Meh, I don't know. More later, I promise.

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to Hyboria! You better be on Wiccana. Enjoy your priest of mitra, you'll be an awesome healer and groups will love having you along, but you might find you'll need to pull out all the stops when fighting against groups of mobs solo (and know when to run away :P )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am on Wiccana and have befriended you, I think. One annoying thing about AoC is the way it takes over my computer. My Windows button, which I use to get to my internet browser and other programs while playing, is disabled by AoC, when I am playing in full screen mode.

    ReplyDelete