Rants tag

Rants, ruminations, and rambling remarks from my mad, muddled, meandering mind.

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

After Three Years, I Write Like . . .

A few years ago, MMOGC alerted me to this site, and had it analyze my blog posts. On Beyond the Veil the other night (podcast link), we were discussing writing styles and writing analysis. And I wondered if my style has evolved any after being at this blogging thing for a while, not to mention other writing I've done lately in my real life responsibilities.

So for my basic essays and back and forth with folks on the blog (carefully sampling my own words and not quotes), I write like


Ursula K. Le Guin


For my recent in-character fiction, I write like


Cory Doctorow


But for the lore pieces I've composed for Beyond the Veil, I still write like


Dan Brown


I'd still be interested to see the algorithms or criteria they use to analyze the writing on that site. I'm sure it's more than just vocabulary, but I'm no writing style expert.  I can almost pinpoint why it says I write like Mr. Brown since I am most familiar with his work. I have a tendency to cliff-hang my Lore pieces, much like the vignettes I used to write more often.

Anyway the site is called "I Write Like"; and you, too, can Analyze your writing!

2 comments:

  1. I've played with that site before and while it's highly amusing I think it's probably about as scientifically grounded as a pair of X-Ray Spex.

    Try putting in a series of individual paragraphs from the same blog post and see what you get. I just used my recent http://bhagpuss.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/dragon-bash-report-card-gw2.html post which is handily split into sections and here's what I got:

    Kurt Vonnegut
    Cory Doctorow
    David Foster Wallace
    Dan Brown
    Margaret Atwood
    Cory Doctorow
    Cory Doctorow
    David Foster Wallace
    David Foster Wallace

    That's some range for a nine paragraph blog post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Yep. @Arolaide on Twitter declared that it was a Self-Publishing Scam from 2010, which is when I first encountered it.

      Delete